OhioAnts Founding PLUS chamber based on readily available 50mmx75mm microscope slides is an opensource project designed for keeping and founding new ant colonies. This is an upgrade in size from the OA-F25 with more focus on open airflow for the nest, with more room for quick growing colonies. The OA-FPLUS is designed with input from dozens of ant-keepers as the ultimate founding chamber for newly collected queens.
The OA-FPlus has the following features.
- Dual entry/exit slide glass top allows quick changing of dirty or soiled glass with minimal disruption to the colony.
- Separate founding chamber, easily expandable once the colony grows.
- When used with a heat cable, the nest has four distinct temperature zones.
- Stainless steel mesh barrier. For airflow and humidity control.
- Expandable connection port
- Water fill port, fit 18 GA needle for non-disruptive watering
- Water overflow port prevents your colony from drowning if overfilled or filled too quickly.
Feature and Construction Overview Video
Print at .2mm height and 25-30% infill. The 50mm x 75mm glass microscope slides may not fit if printed at a thicker layer.
Additional items needed to complete the formicarium.
– 50mm x 75mm Glass Microscope Slide: https://amzn.to/2YRvIVY
– Melamine or PVA Sponge https://amzn.to/2YShMe6
– 80 GA Stainless Steel Mesh https://amzn.to/2YWMtiB
– (Optional) Reptile Heating Cable: https://amzn.to/2UNQe6p
– (Optional) Blunt Tip 18GA Needle: https://amzn.to/2WVbMB2
– (Optional) 10ml Syringe Sterile: https://amzn.to/2Ur7wY9
Don’t Have a 3D printer?
While the intent is to allow users and local communities to download and print, or if it is not cost-effective to order additional supplies for one-off prints. You can purchase this item online at https://www.ohioants.com/shop